The Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS) Pilani is a University established under Section 3 of the UGC Act. Admissions to all the Integrated First Degree programmes of BITS, Pilani, at Pilani campus, Goa campus, and Hyderabad Campus for the academic year 2008-09 will be made on the basis of a Computer based Online Test conducted by BITS, Pilani. This test will be referred to as ‘BITS Admission test – 2008′, in short as BITSAT-2008 hereafter in this document.
1. Integrated First Degree Programmes to which admissions will be made on the basis of BITSAT-2008:
- At BITS, Pilani – Pilani Campus: B.E.(Hons.): Chemical; Civil; Computer Science; Electrical and Electronics; Electronics & Instrumentation; Mechanical; B.Pharm.(Hons.); M.Sc.(Hons.): Biological Sciences; Chemistry; Economics; Mathematics; Physics; and M.Sc.(Tech.): General Studies; Engineering Technology; Finance; Information Systems.
- At BITS, Pilani – Goa Campus: B.E.(Hons.): Chemical; Computer Science; Electrical and Electronics; Electronics & Instrumentation; Mechanical; M.Sc.(Hons.): Biological Sciences; Chemistry; Economics; Mathematics; Physics; and M.Sc.(Tech.): Information Systems.
- At BITS, Pilani – Hyderabad Campus : B.E.(Hons.) : Chemical; Civil; Computer Science; Electronics & Communication, Electrical and Electronics; Electronics & Instrumentation; Mechanical; B.Pharm.(Hons.) ; M.Sc.(Hons.) : Biological Sciences; Chemistry; Economics; Mathematics; Physics; and M.Sc.(Tech.) : Information Systems
- For admission to all the above programmes except B.Pharm.(Hons.) and M.Sc.(Hons.) Biological Sciences: Candidates should have passed the 12 th examination of 10+2 system from a recognized Central or State board or its equivalent with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics and adequate proficiency in English.
- For admission to B.Pharm.(Hons.) and M.Sc.(Hons.) : Biological Sciences programmes : Candidates should have passed the 12 th examination of 10+2 system from a recognized Central or State board or its equivalent with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology or Mathematics and adequate proficiency in English. Candidates having both Mathematics and Biology in 10+2 have to decide whether they wish to appear in Mathematics or Biology subjects in BITSAT-2008.
Admission to all the programmes is subject to the conditions given below. The candidate should have obtained a minimum of aggregate 80% marks in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics subjects (if he/she has taken Mathematics in BITSAT) or a minimum of aggregate 80% marks in Physics, Chemistry and Biology subjects (if he/she has taken Biology in BITSAT) subjects in 12 th examination, with at least 60% marks in each of the Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics / Biology subjects.
Students who are appearing for 12 th examination in 2008 or who have passed 12 th Examination in 2007 only are eligible to appear in the BITSAT-2008 test. Students who have passed 12 th examination in 2006 or earlier are NOT eligible to appear in BITSAT-2008. Students who are presently studying in BITS at any of its campuses are not eligible to appear in BITSAT test.
Admissions will be made purely on merit. The merit position of the candidate for admission will be based on the score obtained by the candidate in the BITSAT-2008. However, their eligibility for admission is subject to fulfilling the requirement of minimum marks in 12 th examination, as mentioned above.
Direct Admission to Board Toppers: In the past, admission process of the Institute always ensured guaranteed admission to all the students who obtained first ranks in their respective board examinations. This has given a very vital input of highly meritorious students from all over India. First rank students of all the central and state boards in India for the year 2008 will be given direct admission to the program of their choice, irrespective of their BITSAT 2008 score as per the eligibility criteria mentioned above. Further details about this scheme will be available at BITS website.
3. Details of BITSAT-2008: Computer Based Online test’ means the candidate sits in front of a computer and the questions are presented on the computer monitor and the candidate submits the answers through the use of keyboard or mouse. Each computer is connected to a server, which prepares the question set and delivers it to the candidate on the computer. This is unlike the traditional paper-pencil based test, which is generally offered on a single day to all candidates. BITSAT-2008 will be offered over a period of time and the candidate can choose the center, the day and time of his/her convenience to take the test, as described in the later sections.
Important dates and deadlines:
- Deadline to apply for BITSAT-2008 : 31 st January 2008
- Test center allotment and announcement to candidates : by 15 th February 2008
- Candidates to reserve Test dates : 18 th Feb. – 10 th March 2008
- Candidates to download the Hall tickets with instructions: 20 th – 31 st March 2008
- BITSAT Online tests :
- Candidates to apply for admission with 12 th marks and preferences to Degree programmes : 9th May – 12th June 2008
- Admit List and Wait List announcement : 20 th May – 30 th June 2008 1 st July 2008
8. How to Apply: Interested candidates should register their names for BITSAT-2008 by applying in the prescribed application form in one of the following modes:
Page 2 Contains rest of the Information