It’s almost a week now. Many media channels are flashing news about swine flu outbreak in India. And many institutions and business establishments are taking extra precautions to prevent their students or employees from H1N1 virus.
As a responsible community we should be aware of what H1N1 (Swine flu) is, and should educate others about the preventive measures for same.
First of all what is Swine Flu (H1N1 virus): It is an acute and highly contagious disease of swine caused by orthomyxo virus thought to be the same virus that caused 1918 influenza pandemic (Source Princeton)
Symptoms of Swine Flu
As per CDC (Centers for Disease control and prevention), similar to seasonal flu, swine flu infections can include
- High Fever (is sometimes absent)
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Sore Throat
- Body Ache
- Tiredness or fatigue (sometimes can be extreme)
- Diarrhea or Vomiting (Sometimes, mostly seen in seasonal flu)
- Pneumonia and respiratory failure (These are the conditions of serious swine flu infections)
Infants, elderly people, people with chronic medical problems, pregnant women, children and adult with obesity are more prone to such kind of diseases.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough and sneeze.
- Wash your hands often with soap, water or alcohol based hand wash gel (Sanitizer which you can see in most of the establishments around the country)
- Avoid touching your nose, eyes or mouth
- Avoid contact with ill person
- For the time being avoid social gatherings or any other crowded place.
If you think you have swine flu
- Stay at home or hotel and seek urgent medical help avoid going to work or school
- Avoid close contact with other people
Need any assistance with Swine Flu related queries
- Government of India has started a national help line (1075).
- Contact Director Emergency via mail at diremr (at) nic (dot) in or can call at 011-23061302.
- Contact your state control cell room Please click here for list.
Therefore we request all the users and friends of gyanguru to educate other people as well regarding the preventive measure. As we all know prevention is better than cure, and co-operate with the concerned authorities for a speedy process.
Every care has been taken to provide you with the error free information. However we request you to consult your Doctor or Physician for same.