Dal Bati Churma is the most popular item in Rajasthani cuisine . It is made of three items of bati , dal , and churma . Dal is lentils, bati is a baked wheat ball, and churma is powdered sweetened cereal. Churma is a popular delicacy usually served with baatis and dal . It is coarsely ground wheat crushed and cooked with ghee and sugar. Traditionally it is made by mashing up wheat flour baatis or left over rotis in ghee and jaggery .
Lets See how it is prepared
Dal Bati Churma ( Puffed dough dumplings with lentil curry ) Serves: 6 Cooking time: 2 hours
DAL : Ingredients
- 2 cups rajma beans (soaked in water overnight with a pinch of soda bicarb)
- 3/4 cup whole black gram (urad) (soaked in water overnight with a pinch of soda bicarb)
- 3 onions, chopped finely. o 2 tomatoes, chopped finely.
- 2 tsps garam masala powder.
- 2 tsps chilli powder.
- 1 tsp turmeric powder.
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste.
- 2 green chillies, slit lengthwise.
- 2 tbsps cream
- 4 tbsps ghee.
- 1 cup coriander leaves, chopped finely.
- Salt to taste.
- 5 cups whole wheat flour, sieved.
- 1 cup ghee, melted.
- 2 tbsps curd.
- Salt to taste. Method:
- Pressure cook rajma and black gram till it becomes soft.
- Heat 4 tbsps oil. Add onions. Brown them.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and tomatoes. Fry.
- Add all the masalas, beans and salt. Simmer till well blended. The gravy should be thick.
- Pour over cream and ghee.
- Knead a soft dough with flour, ghee, curd, salt and just enough water. Roll into lemon-sized balls. Cover and keep for one hour.
- Then roast in batches on hot coals till puffed and golden outside and spongy inside.
- Keep hot. Garnish the dal with coriander leaves and slit green chillies.
- Dip hot dumplings in the dal while eating. CHURMA Ingredients :
- Wheat flour 200 gm
- Ghee 400 gm
- Khoya / Mawa 100 gm
- Sugar (grounded) 200 gm
- Soaked almond (finely chopped) 50 gm
- Cardamom (small) 4 o Dalchini 1" Method :
- Melt 150 gms. of ghee and mix it in wheat flour.
- Make a stiff dough using very little water.
- Heat the rest of the ghee in a kadahi. Make about 15-20 balls with the dough.
- Fry it on low flame till it becomes golden brown.
- Churn it in grinder after it cools down. Mix khoya.
- Heat 1 tbsp. ghee in kadahi. Add cardamom seeds and dalchini.
- Add the above mixture of wheat flour and khoya. Fry it for one minute.
- When it cools down, add sugar and chopped almonds.
- Mix well. Serve in a plate. o You can enjoy the taste of churma for 8-10 days if you keep it in an airtight box.