About IFMR The Institute for Financial Management and Research (IFMR), Chennai, is a leading business school with the objective of moulding bright and ambitious young managers into effective executives in a global setting. IFMR’s curriculum offers a mix of theory and simulated real life exposure. Its graduates are equipped to meet challenges from the day they are absorbed into the corporate sector.
Established in 1970 as a non-profit organization. IFMR was sponsored by ICICI, the House of Kotharis and other major industrial groups. The Board of Governors includes leaders of major corporations in India. The Finance Secretary, Government of Tamilnadu, and the Vice Chancellor of the University of Madras are ex officio board members.
Recognized as a Social Science Research Institute by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, Government of India, IFMR is approved as an institution of national importance by the Ministry of Finance. Faculty members have worked and consulted with both national and international organizations. Students, too, are involved in these projects, ensuing continuous interaction with industry. IFMR is also an approved institution by the University of Madras for pursuing a Ph.D degree in Finance and Economics.
IFMR has close ties and research collaboration with Harvard, MIT, Yale and London School of Economics. IFMR has also recently entered into a comprehensive three year partnership with Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT- OCW) to redesign its entire approach towards teaching and research in order to offer a world-class curriculum to its students. About 40 scholars from the Kennedy School of Government, Harvard Business School, Sloan School of Management (MIT), Yale University, etc., pursuing close to 20 research projects in Poverty Alleviation (JPAL),Microfinance, Urban planning and the like are in residence at IFMR thereby creating a very stimulating academic environment on campus. Besides, IFMR also has close ties with Indian Institute of Banking and Finance(IIBF),Confederation of Indian Industries (CII),Madras Management Association ( MMA ) and other bodies.
In the 2007 rating of business schools IFMR was ranked an outstanding 10 th among all private B-Schoolsin India as well as 10 th in Intellectual Capital, in the Outlook-Cfore Business School Survey. In the All India Management Association(AIMA) B-School survey 2007, IFMR was rated “A” . It is our intent to further improve our excellent performance.
Students interested in general management careers can choose to specialize in one or more of finance, marketing, human resources management and information technology / operations management. Students interested in analytical finance (FE) or micro and development finance (DSE) are offered course sequences in their second year which prepare them for challenging careers in these fields. Students interested in careers in research will also benefit from these specialized course sequences.
POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA COURSE IN MANAGEMENT (PGDM) IFMR’s Post Graduate Diploma in Business Management (PGDM) is an AICTE & AIU accredited programme. It is intended to impart functional and management skills for successful careers in management. Management theory and practice as well as the external environment are continuously changing. IFMR’s approach to learning seeks to prepare students to be effective managers in the face of these changes. Hence learning is not confined to the classroom. Students are expected to take responsibility for and be active participants in the learning process. Students are thus equipped for life long learning. IFMR helps students realise their potential by learning to take their decisions and meeting stringent deadlines through assignments, cases, role-playing exercises, projects and simulated real life.
POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA IN MANAGEMENT-FINANCIAL ENGINEERING (PGDM – FE) The financial sector in India has seen substantial changes over the past decade including –
- Deregulated Interest rates
- Capital account convertibility
- Access to international Capital markets
- Transparency & efficiency
- Regulators focusing on risks and management of risks rather than on procedures.
The practice of finance has therefore evolved rapidly as a result of the above changes. Finance today involves evaluating and using instruments, markets and methodologies very different from those prevailing just a few years earlier. Today’s practitioner should also be equipped to analyse and evaluate developments that are certain to occur in the years to come. In addition, the peculiarities of the Indian and other emerging markets mean that tools and techniques need to be adapted or developed before they can be used correctly. Therefore, there is an emerging need for Finance Professionals equipped to carry out Financial modeling, use analytics and evaluate options. The primary goal of the Program is to provide training in practical financial modeling as well as insights into the uses (and abuses) of financial models in real life situations.
POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA IN MANAGEMENT – DEVELOPMENT AND SUSTAINABLE FINANCE (PGDM – DSF) : The effective provision of social and financial services to the underprivileged and underserved requires a combination of managerial skills with a deep understanding of the lives, needs and problems of the less privileged. Innovative products and programs are needed to ensure that the huge lacunae that exist in the provision of education, healthcare and finance are effectively bridged. In this context, this program aims to:
- Provide a coherent curriculum of study at the postgraduate level, which will enhance the analytical capabilities and skills of people working in the field of development finance, education, healthcare and regulation
- Equip students with a thorough understanding of the special problems of managing access to finance in emerging market economies and with the functional knowledge and skills to operate successfully.
- Help students make a meaningful contribution to policy formulation and implementation in this field
Eligibility PGDM / PGDM (FE) /PGDM (DSF)
- Graduates in any discipline with a consistent First Class in Standards X, XII & Graduation.
- Any one of CAT 2007” / XAT 2008 / GMAT ( taken in or after August 2006) scores
>>IFMR uses CAT scores to shortlist candidates for its PGDM program. IIMs have no role either in the selection process or in the conduct of the program .
Programme Venue and Duration : All programs will be conducted at the premises of the Institute at #24, Kothari Road , Nungambakkam, Chennai – 600 034. Each program takes six trimesters to complete. Each trimester is about 12 weeks long and 3 trimesters constitute the academic year. Core subjects are covered in the first three trimesters. In addition there will be a summer internship for about 11 weeks in April – June .IFMR will facilitate summer internship projects. Electives/Functional courses will be covered in the fourth, fifth and sixth semesters.
Method of selection : Shortlisted candidates who fulfill the eligibility criteria as above will be called for a Psychometric test, Group Discussion and personal interview at IFMR campus on dates to be notified later.
Financial Aid : A limited number of merit cum means assistance is made available to deserving candidates. These range from Rs. 100,000.00 to a full waiver of tuition fees.
- Application kits can be obtained from IFMR beginning September 1, 2007 , on payment of Rs. 1200.00 by cash or DD favouring Institute For Financial Management & Research and payable at Chennai. Cheques will not be accepted
- Application kits will also be available against payment at select centres of T.I.M.E, IMS & Career Launchers. Please refer to their websites for the list of centres.
- Application kits will also be available against payment at select branches of Axis Bank (UTI Bank ). Please refer to IFMR website for the list of branches.
- The application form can also be downloaded from our website www.ifmr.ac.in
- Filled in applications with supporting documents should reach IFMR on or before December 10, 2007 for CAT Scores and January 31, 2008 for XAT scores .
- In case of downloaded applications, they should be accompanied by payment of Rs. 1200.00 by cash or DD favouring Institute For Financial Management & Research and payable at Chennai. Cheques will not be accepted
For further particulars please contact Mr. G.Ravishankar (PGDM Office) , Institute for Financial Management and Research, #24, Kothari Road, Nungambakkam, Chennai – 600 034. at 093850 21777 / 044-2830 3446 / 2822 8193; Fax: 044-28279208 – E-mail: email@example.com or log on to www.ifmr.ac.in/lp
The Information Provided here is selective and partial Please contact the regional office or university office for more information. we will not be held responsible for accuracy of the data provided here.